Friday, November 18, 2011

Let's Start a Movement: Occupy Thanksgiving - Be Thankful for What You HAVE

Earlier tonight, it occurred to me that with the news this year that Target and other stores will be open Thanksgiving night (and some even earlier in the day) that a line has finally been crossed. It's time for those of us who respect tradition and family values to stand up and refuse to be sucked into the consumer maelstrom that has been taking over our country with increasing insistence.

It's high time that large consumer outlets looking to make a profit stopped telling us what to do and when. It's time that the Christmas industry stopped co-opting Halloween and Thanksgiving. It only happens because we let it. This year, don't encourage them. Start a backlash. Stay home. Shop after your holiday celebration. We should first be thankful for what we HAVE... only then is it appropriate to go out and get more stuff. (Maybe!)

This guy beat me to it: Occupy Thanksgiving. Love the graphic.


We should first be thankful for what we HAVE... only then is it appropriate to go out and get more stuff.

But then, maybe first we should try to Occupy Advent.

2 comments:

  1. Joyce! I finally found your blog. Duh, I'm not always a very bright light. What a wonderful post! I do all my Christmas shopping two weeks before Christmas, if not the week of Christmas before I go to the monastery for the Solemnity itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Steve. I try to do the same thing. I'll be interested to see if the Occupy Advent movement has any effect. There have been similar guerrilla initiatives in the past. I used to put on a program like that for parents when I was a DRE in a parish.

    ReplyDelete