By the end, they were all smiling... I think they got it. The discussion was brief, but there was general agreement.
I then moved to the final piece in my plan to help them understand exactly why they are preparing for Confirmation: learning that the purpose of the Sacraments of Initiation is to bring them to the table of the Eucharist for the rest of their lives. I next showed them a very brief PowerPoint outlining some of the reasons we go to Mass:
- To celebrate the love of God as the Body of Christ – the community singing and praying as one voice
- To hear the Word of God and allow the Holy Spirit to change our hearts
- To celebrate the sacrifice of Jesus – his pouring out of his life on the Cross
- To offer our lives as part of the sacrifice
- To share the meal at the table of the Lord
- To become more like Jesus by receiving Eucharist
We talked a bit about Eucharist being really Jesus... but that was a teaser for next week. Lastly, I showed them a picture of the Communion of Saints and of the Pope at World Youth Day - one with the banners of many nations flying - and explained that Eucharist unites us across time and space to all people, living and dead. They seemed to think that is cool.
For all these reasons I them to asked them to think about going to Mass - to consider it... and promised we would talk more next week about the Mass and the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist. I certainly hope they will.
This year is going to be a journey - for all of us!